August 5, 2012
Clint Bowyer Pocono
Clint Bowyer Race Summary: No. 15 5-hour ENERGY Toyota driver Clint Bowyer finished eighth in Sunday’s rain-shortened NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Pocono Raceway. The Michael Waltrip Racing driver started 19th and climbed to 13th by lap 18. Bowyer moved into the top 10 by lap 34 and appeared to be one of the fastest cars on the track. Bowyer restarted race in 12th on lap 91 and barely missed a multicar accident in turn one. He moved up to eighth but the torrential rain that fell on the Pennsylvania track ended the race on lap 98 of the scheduled 160. Bowyer remains 10th in points with a 57 point cushion over 11th place with five races remaining before the Chase for the Sprint Cup. The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series returns to action on Sunday at Watkins Glen International Raceway for the second and final road course race of 2012. Bowyer won the Sonoma race in the season’s only other road course race.
- Started 19th and finished eighth.
- Climbed to 13th by lap 18.
- Raced in top 10 by lap 34.
- Barely missed the multicar accident on the lap 91 restart.
BOWYER: "We'll take it. I wish we could have had a couple more laps because I know we would have gained a few extra spots but big picture an eighth place day isn't going to hurt us too bad. The 5-hour ENERGY Toyota was good and we were making up ground, but with only a handful of races left until the cutoff we'll take the points and head to Watkins Glen."
· Jeff Gordon won the race.
· Kasey Kahne, Truex, Brad Keselowski, and Tony Stewart rounded out the top-five finishers.
· The race took one hour and 45 minutes.
· Rain delayed the race about two hours and ended the race on lap 98 of scheduled 160.
· The race featured 13 lead changes among 10 drivers.
· Three cautions slowed the race for 14 laps.
· NASCAR estimated the attendance at 85,000.
View the Pocono Recap Video on Michael Waltrip Racing
View photos from the race >