August 12, 2012
Clint Bowyer Watkins Glen
Clint Bowyer Race Summary: No. 15 5-hour ENERGY Toyota driver Clint Bowyer finished fourth in Sunday’s 90-lap NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen International. The Michael Waltrip Racing driver started eighth and raced between fifth and 10th the majority of the afternoon. Bowyer came to pit road in sixth on lap 58 for a regularly scheduled pit stop and returned to the race just as a caution came out. The well-timed pit stop moved Bowyer up to third for the restart with 18 laps remaining. Bowyer raced in sixth position in the closing laps when the intensity on the track picked up and hard racing caused several drivers to lose positions. Bowyer gained two spots in the closing laps to finish fourth. Bowyer moved from tenth to seventh in points. He holds a 66-point cushion over 11th place with four races remaining before the Chase for the Sprint Cup. The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series returns to action on Sunday at Michigan International Speedway.
Started eighth and finished fourth.
- Raced in the top-10 all day.
- Pitted under green on lap 58 right before a caution came out on lap 61 moving him up to third.
- Restarted in third with 18 laps to go and raced hard in the closing laps to move from sixth to fourth.
- Recorded his fifth top-five and 12th top-10 of the season.
- Gained three positions in the point standing – up to seventh place. The No. 15 team is 66 points ahead of 11th.
BOWYER: “That was some slick racing the last few laps. You watch these road racers race in the rain and find traction. It kind of reminded me of the old motocross days. It was real slick in that oil and you had to find grooves around it. I almost got the 48 (Jimmie Johnson) there. We were sliding everywhere. He about got me and I about got him. It was kind of fun, but it was pretty nerve-racking.”
Are you happy with a top-five finish for your points position? “We needed that. It was a solid weekend for us. This isn’t one of my best tracks and I’m real proud of Brian Pattie (crew chief) and everybody on this 5-hour ENERGY Toyota for helping me out
· Marcos Ambrose won the race.
· Brad Keselowski, Jimmie Johnson, Bowyer, and Sam Hornish Jr. rounded out
the top-five finishers.
· The race took two hours and 14 minutes.
· The race featured 10 lead changes among five drivers.
· Four cautions slowed the race for 13 laps.
· NASCAR estimated the attendance at 90,000.
View the Watkins Glen Recap Video on Michael Waltrip Racing
View photos from the race >